Changes to the Library’s Research Area
The current special collections area will be extended for researchers and readers to use the following materials and services:
- Mitchell and Dixson collections
- State Reference Library books relating to special collection items which are being studied
- Mitchell reference collection on the shelves
- A dedicated service desk where expert librarians will provide advice and assistance
- Card catalogues for Manuscripts and Mitchell Printed Books
- To ensure the security of Library collections and the comfort of readers, a delicate glass partition will be returned to separate the research and general reading areas.
STATE LIBRARY OF NSW KEY MILESTONES
1826 – The Australian Subscription Library, precursor of the State Library of New South Wales, opens in Pitt Street. It moves three times until finding a permanent home on Bent and Macquarie Street in 1845.
1869 – NSW Government takes responsibility for the Library, it becomes the Sydney Free Public Library.
1895 – The name changes to the Public Library of New South Wales.
1898 – David Scott Mitchell offers his entire Australian collection to the NSW Government, on the condition a new building in constructed to house it.
1906 – NSW Government lays the foundation stone on 11 September.
1907 – David Scott Mitchell dies in July.
1910 – The new Mitchell Library [now the Friends Room] opens to the public on 9 March.
1929 – The Dixson Wing, housed to display Sir William Dixson’s collection, is opened.
1942 – Public Library extensions to the Mitchell Library, including the new Reading Room, are opened
1964 – Separate Manuscript, Pictures and Maps departments created.
1975 – Library name changes to the State Library of New South Wales.
1970s – New user groups, such as family historians, begin to use State Library collections
1978 – State Record collections removed from State Library building
1988 – The new State Library building with a new reading room [now State Reference Library] opens in Macquarie Street. The Mitchell Library Reading Room moves to its current location from its original 1910 space.
1995 – Readers tickets issued on evidence of two forms of identification: prior to this readers tickets were issued after an application form had been completed.
1996 – Mitchell Library and State Library reference inquiry services combined
1998 – Mitchell Library and State Reference Library Reader services team combined
2000 – Original Materials Branch created, by amalgamating the Mss, Pictures, and Maps Branches
2001 – The first major restoration to the Mitchell Library Reading Room completed, repairing the ceiling, installing network cabling and establishing the Sir William Dixson Research Library.
2007 – Minor refurbishment of the Mitchell Library reading room completed in July.
2010 – Centenary of the Mitchell Library is celebrated.